[Biojava-l] what is the design goal of biojava?

Matthew Pocock matthew_pocock at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Mar 26 08:36:10 EST 2004

Magic Fang wrote:

> hi,
> i am now using biojava, and i think it is quite good, especially the
> modeling and statistics class, but on data manipulation, it seems
> somewhat complex. if she is like bioperl in seqio or searchio, she
> will be more beautiful i think. so i want the design goal of biojava,
> for biologist or programmer?

I agree with you about the complexity. If you can think of a cleaner and
simpler API and have the time or can motivate others then feel free to
tackle this. I think this happened because the early developers where
all using BioJava as a library for developing compute-intensive
applications, rather than as a scripting environment for running
external anaysis programs. Obviously, now it would be good to address this.