[Biojava-l] removeGap problem with SimpleGappedSequence

mark.schreiber at group.novartis.com mark.schreiber at group.novartis.com
Wed Feb 11 20:07:18 EST 2004

Hi -

The problem seems to be that

   DNATools.createDNASequence("ACT--GGACCTAAGG", "test");

Creates a SimpleSequence and not a gapped sequence. Then when you call

  SimpleGappedSequence s = new SimpleGappedSequence(sequence);

You get back a view onto sequence. The view can only remove gaps that are
introduced in that view. I guess that DNATools.createDNASequence and
createDNA methods may need modification. There is a method in DNATools
called createGappedDNASequence which will do what you want but it would be
nice if the other two could call it as appropriate.

Probably need to add a createGappedDNA as well.

If no one gets to this in the next few days I'll have a hack at it.

- Mark

Mark Schreiber
Principal Scientist (Bioinformatics)

Novartis Institute for Tropical Diseases (NITD)
1 Science Park Road
#04-14 The Capricorn
Singapore 117528

phone +65 6722 2973