[Biojava-l] Job / Task Scheduler for Biojava (Webservice)

Tom Oinn tmo at ebi.ac.uk
Wed Nov 12 08:48:02 EST 2003

Matthew Pocock wrote:
> Tom Oinn wrote:
>
>> Matthew - you're both on this list and working up at Newcastle, does
>> this seem reasonable?
>
> Yes. Very.

Let's hope the BBSRC agree :)

>> I'll be up in a few weeks to talk to the biologists, perhaps we could
>> get together over a drink or several and see how Taverna and Biojava
>> could play together?
>

> We should sort something out. On a related note, I'm currently writing
> AXIS web services for biojava sequence & feature objects, which should
> reduce the overhead of this kind of thing a bit.

Fantastic, we're also very interested in service interfaces to the DAS
systems (working with the EnsEMBL guys next door from time to time on
that one). We have some constraints on what kinds of service we can
consume, basically it boils down to 'don't use complex types in axis',
but there are some exceptions (collection types are fine). I'm assuming
you've followed my various rants on the axis user list as to exactly
why, but we've fallen into the pattern of passing XML documents around
as strings, so our toolkit doesn't need to know anything about the data
at that level and yet we retain the structured information where
possible. We believe there is no good reason why a web service tookit
should comprehend the structure of the sequence object, for example,
flowing through it.

Biojava people - please download Taverna and have a play with it, the
'windows' build is not particularly well named, it's actually all java,
you'll just need to have 'dot' from graphviz installed and on your path
and everything will work. We'll be releasing beta7 for macosX and
hopefully both redhat and debian as well, just to make things a little
more convenient. We have a user mailing list which might be worth
subscribing to if this is of any interest, links from taverna.sf.net

Cheers,

Tom