[Biojava-l] BlastLikeSearchBuilder and queryIDs

Frank Vernaillen fr_ve at hotmail.com
Tue May 13 00:03:20 EDT 2003

Hello!

I'm planning to use BioJava for parsing some relatively large
(multi-megabyte, flat-file) Blast result files. My idea was to parse the
data somewhat along the lines of
http://bioconf.otago.ac.nz/biojava/BlastParser.htm and
http://bioconf.otago.ac.nz/biojava/ExtractSearchInformation.htm.

This way I end up with a Vector of SeqSimilaritySearchResults. The
SeqSimilaritySearchResult interface offers a getQuerySequence() method, but
it returns a SymbolList, not a Sequence. Now this is a problem, because I
can't seem to obtain the *queryID* of the sequence anymore, only the
sequence symbols themselves. Was this a deliberate design choice?

Any ideas on how to elegantly obtain the queryIDs from the parsed Blast
output?

I am using biojava-1.3pre2-jdk14.

Cheers,
Frank.