[Biojava-l] Display components of an assembly (contig) multilined

f.maiwald at nexgo.de f.maiwald at nexgo.de
Thu Jul 24 16:28:25 EDT 2003

Dear all,

i would like to display the component sequences of  assemblies (contigs) in one line each.
The contig is produced in an EMBL like format from several tables of an oracle database and
then imported via SeqIOTools.readEMBL().
The sequences in the resulting SequenceIterator are of type SimpleSequence and cannot be
casted to SimpleAssembly. (I cannot determine a priori, if the sequence is an assembly at
all. So, constructing an Assembly via e.g a temporary file does not work either.)
The component sequences appear as normal features like in this example:

ID   945136
AC   CONTIG1;
DE   |
FT   EST_CONTIG      complement(1..156)
FT                   /childID="907559"
FT                   /childAccNbr="AccNo1"
FT                   /description="desc 1"
FT   EST_CONTIG      complement(196..416)
FT                   /childID="916188"
FT                   /childAccNbr="AccNo2"
FT                   /description="desc 2"
FT   EST_CONTIG      complement(4..527)
FT                   /childID="910809"
FT                   /childAccNbr="AccNo 3"
FT                   /description="desc 3"
FT   EST_CONTIG      complement(407..509)
FT                   /childID="911471"
FT                   /childAccNbr="AccNo 4"
FT                   /description="desc 4"
SQ   SEQUENCE
//

I tried RectangularBeadRenderer and setBeadDisplacement(10.0) but that only seems to add
some padding to the complete renderer line.

To make the story short:

Can anyone hint me on a class or technique that results in a display like this ?
                                              \
    +---------+                                |
    |child 1  |                                |

            |child 2        |                  |- Renderer line

         |child 3                         |    |

Thanks

Frank