[Biojava-l] Re: genbank contig stuff

Schreiber, Mark mark.schreiber at agresearch.co.nz
Tue Jul 8 12:16:55 EDT 2003

There seems to be lots of ways to think about contigs. One nice way is a Markov Chain (although that is more of a consensus). An alternative is to treat the contig as a collection of sequences and some associated information about the locations of the sequences in the contig and what the consensus should look like. We do this with an XML description of the contig.

I feel that all the parts needed are in biojava and it would be good to have a fairly abstract Contig object that holds the information required. When the needed sequenceDB is available then a view could be made to the consensus (a Sequence object) or a view to the Alignment or even a view to a Markov Chain. When quality info is available a Sequence over the Phred alphabet could be produced. In this way a Contig object is not a Sequence an Alignment or a Markov chain but information in it could be used to produce all three.

Anyone want to code that up :)

- Mark