[Biojava-l] Ensembl gene parsing

Thomas Down td2 at sanger.ac.uk
Wed Jan 29 11:56:21 EST 2003

On Wed, Jan 29, 2003 at 09:58:18AM +0000, Ewan Birney wrote:

> (c) If you don't like Perl ( ... this is the biojava mailing list...) then
> there is a pretty complete and stable Java binding to Ensembl - it doesn't
> use BioJava - it is more just a vanilla Java binding to Ensembl. Craig
> melsopp is the lead on that. The web page is
>
> http://www.ensembl.org/java/

(d) There's also a completely different BioJava-based mechanism
for accessing Ensembl databases:

   http://biojava.org/pipermail/biojava-l/2002-December/003418.html

Unlike ensj, this is 100% read-only.  It does give you access
without an additional API, though, and as far as I know it's the
only thing which supports multiple versions of the Ensembl database
schema off a single codebase.