[Biojava-l] library for running blast and formatdb

Michael L. Heuer heuermh@acm.org
Fri, 10 Jan 2003 17:18:52 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 10 Jan 2003, Patrick McConnell wrote:

> In the process, I developed some useful and flexible base classes for
> formatting parameters and running programs.  Parameters are automatically
> converted to an argument array via reflection and reading of standard out
> and standard error in separate threads is handled automatically.

The base classes are nice, but I prefer the design of

> http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/cli

a lot better for handling parameters.

I suppose it's a matter of another external dependency vs. reinvented
utility code in biojava . . .  Would it make sense to merge the better
qualities of the two?

I also have a few simple classes for oneoff scripts with command line &
logging facade support that I use all the time, see

> http://www.shore.net/~heuermh/oneoff.tar.gz

but they don't have any extra support for external programs.

   michael