[Biojava-l] Running apps with Java

Martin Senger senger at ebi.ac.uk
Wed Aug 13 15:45:55 EDT 2003

> Isn't this what the ACD files in EMBOSS are doing? Perhaps not
> reinventing the wheel would be good? Admittedly ACD is not the most
> parsable file format to work with, but we have an XML dialect of it
> which is (part of Martin's Soaplab).
>
> Martin - is the XML schema available somewhere? I can't find it from
> the webpage...

   Yes, it's here:
http://industry.ebi.ac.uk/applab/home/metadata/AppLabAnalysis.dtd

   And I would add to this:

> > I do not think it
> > would be too hard to come up with an XML schema for describing how programs
> > should be run.

   ...that it may not be the high-level science but it is not completely
easy either. I have spent long time (starting with the W2H project,
through Applab project and now in the Soaplab) to find what are all
reasonably possible combinantions of the command-line parameters. So let
me know if I can be of any help if you decide to go this way...

   Regards,
   Martin

--
Martin Senger

EMBL Outstation - Hinxton                Senger at EBI.ac.uk
European Bioinformatics Institute        Phone: (+44) 1223 494636
Wellcome Trust Genome Campus             (Switchboard:     494444)
Hinxton                                  Fax  : (+44) 1223 494468
Cambridge CB10 1SD
United Kingdom                           http://industry.ebi.ac.uk/~senger