[Biojava-l] Running apps with Java

Tom Oinn tmo at ebi.ac.uk
Mon Aug 11 17:26:24 EDT 2003

Hi there,

Apologies for the slight plug, but at the EBI we've been working on
something that might be of interest to people trying to do this. We have
a system called Soaplab that can be used to expose command line tools as
web services (trivial to then consume) and another project Taverna which
focuses on workflow construction and execution using FreeFluo (open
source workflow enactor written by some of our collaborators at
Southampton). The URLs for these are...

http://industry.ebi.ac.uk/soaplab/
http://taverna.sf.net
http://freefluo.sf.net

As an example, we have all of EMBOSS in this system here and can build
complex workflows (we're using it for work on genetic disease in
collaboration with some biologists in Newcastle University), there's a
graphical workflow construction environment, it's all pretty much there.
Ongoing work of course (aren't they always?) but usable in its current
form. Anyway, sorry if this is off topic too much, we are actually
planning to contribute parts of Soaplab's clients into BioJava in the
same way as we have for BioPerl, and similarly so for the workflow
engine if that's desirable.

Cheers,

Tom Oinn (work above is by Martin Senger, myself and the rest of the
Taverna project team), I've cc'd Martin on this email, he's the author
of Soaplab.