[Biojava-l] help with installing biojava on windows 2000

Thomas Down thomas at derkholm.net
Thu Aug 7 17:45:55 EDT 2003

Once upon a time, Halfdan Rydbeck wrote:

> I have been trying to install BioJava on a Windows 2000 machine for a
> day now but cant get it to work.
> Maybe you could help me out here?
>
> I store my .jar-files (biojava-1.30-jdk14,  bytecode-0.92,
> jakarta-regexp, xerces) in C:\biojava.
>
> My classpath variable is set to the following:
> C:\biojava\biojava-1.30-jdk14.jar;C:\biojava\xerces.jar;C:\biojava\byt
> ecode-0.92.jar;C:\biojava\jakarta-regexp.jar

While I'm not a Windows expert, that all looks correct to me.
Could you post the exact ocmmand line or configuration file
line which you use to set this?

> When I try to compile a get the error message:
> C:\biojava\asgasfsf\biojava-1.30\demos-1.4\ssaha\SSAHASeq.java:6:
> package org.biojava.bio does not exist
> import org.biojava.bio.*;

If your CLASSPATH is set correctly (the value above looks correct,
but it would be useful to see an actual command line), the only
other possibility I can think of is that your biojava.jar file
has become corrupted.  You can check this with something like:

     jar tf C:\biojava\biojava-1.30-jdk14.jar

which should list all the files (about 1000) in the jar archive.

If that produces any kind of error, try downloading the library
again.

> I just discovered that Ant is recuired to get things work. Could you
> maybe guide me throuhg everything thats needed to make biojava run on
> my computer?

You only need to use Ant if you want to compile BioJava from a source
code distribution.  If you've downloaded the binary Jar files, you'll
be fine without it (although if you write large programs of your own,
I can personally recommend Ant as a good tool for managing the build
process).