[Biojava-l] Re: [Biojava-dev] Tutorial 1 and ambiguous symbols

Matthew Pocock matthew_pocock@yahoo.co.uk
Mon, 21 Oct 2002 17:05:36 +0100 (BST)

Hi Andy,

You can check if a Symbol is non-ambiguous by seeing
if it is an instance of AtomicSymbol. If not, you can
use the getMatches() method to get back an alphabet
over all the AtomicSymbol instances it could match. So
something like this:

Symbol sym = ...;

if(sym instanceof AtomicSymbol) {
  // add counts as normal
} else {
  Finite Alphabet matches = (FiniteAlphabet)
sym.getMatches();
  for(Iterator si = matches.iterator(); si.hasNext();
) {
    AtomicSymbol as = (AtomicSymbol) si.next();
    // do stuff with this potential match
  }
}

Alternatively, you could replace the == in the demo
with an Alphabet.contains() where you make one
ambiguity symbol from the pair (G,C) and one from
(A,T) using the method getSymbol(Set) method, and
extract getMatches() from them.

You could try both and compare the relative speed of
each. Also, what should you be doing in the case where
the ambiguity matches both symbols in (A,T) and (G,C)?
Do you want to add whole counts to both pots, or part
counts?

Matthew