[Biojava-l] Finding a feature by its ID

Thomas Down td2@sanger.ac.uk
Fri, 18 Oct 2002 00:04:20 +0100

On Wed, Oct 16, 2002 at 02:20:52PM +0200, Jansen wrote:

> But unfortunatly this does not find all the features. For example it finds
> "components/NT_021937" if the DASSequence corresponds to chromosome 1 on the
> human genome 8.30. If I am searching for "ENSE00000897633" (which is a
> direct child of NT_021937) this works too. But if I am looking for
> "components/AL139424.21.1.86720" which is also a child of NT_021937, the
> feature is not found. The same for "AK074279@10439-10678" which is a child
> of "AL139424.21.1.86720".
>
> Any idea about this strange behaviour?

Okay, this is fixed in the latest CVS version -- turned out
to be two separate optimization mechanisms treading on each
others' toes.

Unfortunately, this isn't much of a victory, since it means
that your query has gone from sometimes working, in a few
seconds to always working but requiring several minutes and
a large amount of memory :-(.  This is really about as good
as a DAS 1.0 client can manage, unfortunately.  DAS 1.5 has
a specific mechanism for finding features by ID, so that
seems to be the solution (it does, however, require DAS/1.5
support on the server side).

      Thomas.