[Biojava-l] LocationTools.buildLoc

Thomas Down td2@sanger.ac.uk
Mon, 11 Nov 2002 18:01:42 +0000

On Mon, Nov 11, 2002 at 08:53:54AM +0100, Eric Jain wrote:
> Is there any reason for the org.biojava.bio.symbol.LocationTools.buildLoc
> method to be protected rather than public?

There are two methods of that name:

    (package-private) static Location buildLoc(List locList);

    protected static Location buildLoc(int min, int max);

The former should definitely remain private, since it's
an (unsafe) backend method for the union operator.  Just
use LocationTools.union instead.

I presume you're actually talking about the latter.  I'd
be quite happy to have this as public API, if it's going to
be useful.  The current name isn't terribly good for a publiuc
method, though.  How about:

    static location makeContigiousLocation(int min, int max);

???

If nobody objects, I'll make this change.

    Thomas.