[Biojava-l] Mac OS X setup

Thomas Down td2@sanger.ac.uk
Thu, 7 Nov 2002 22:25:15 +0000

On Fri, Nov 08, 2002 at 10:21:52AM +1300, Andrew Macgregor wrote:
> Anyone else out there have biojava set up on OS X?
>
> When I set mine up from the standard 1.22 binaries I moved the
> biojava.jar, jakarta-regexp.jar and xerces.jar to the
> Library/Java/Extensions directory in my Users folder. After I had done
> this however, programs such as NetBeans and JBuilder wouldn't run. Only
> by downloading the current xerces.jar from the apache site and using
> that could I run NetBeans and use biojava side by side.

BioJava isn't terribly fussy about the version of Xerces
you use.  In fact, it doesn't even have to be Xerces -- any
reasonably solid XML parser which fits the JAXP1.1 interfaces
should be okay.

The version we've been supplying is a bit long in the tooth
now.  We should definitely update it before 1.3.

(For a lot of people it's no longer relevant at all, since
JDK1.4 has a parser built in).

     Thomas.