[Biojava-l] To Do Question

David Block dblock@gnf.org
Fri, 31 May 2002 11:05:23 -0700

I agree with you.  I see BioMoby as being a web service registry and
a place for people to publicize their bio-specific clients.  These
clients can and should use public infrastructure (JAXR and SOAP::Lite),
but bioinformatics will always require tweaking (otherwise none of us
would have jobs :)

> JAXR already exists to provide a simple access mechanism in
> Java to talk to
> web services registries.  The calls are easy to use.  I don't
> know what soap
> layer is being targeted for Perl projects but I do know at
> least SOAP:Lite
> includes a simple mechanism for access to UDDI.  There are a couple of
> open-source implementations of UDDI directories available now
> to support
> private directory services.  Why create new mechanisms and
> semantics for
> this?

BioMoby is not.

> This is clearly me on a soapbox so take it for what its
> worth.  One of the
> things I think has slowed progress and adoption of standards in life
> sciences is the constant tendency to reinvent platform
> technology. There's
> been some really cool stuff done (like DAS for instance) that solves
> important scientific problems.  It seems to me that's a much
> better place
> for us to focus and simply use the platform stuff as is (even
> if it seems
> "yucky" or we think we can do it slightly better).

You know, we started thinking about BioMoby before we knew about UDDI,
but Moby is now all about embracing and extending what's out there.

> Mike

Dave