[Biojava-l] Taxa/Taxon class/method naming

Keith James kdj@sanger.ac.uk
09 Mar 2002 12:12:28 +0000

There's a bit of a problem with naming in the Taxa package. Most of
the cases where the word "Taxa" (plural) is used should be replaced
with "Taxon" (singular). I'm not picky about spelling, but I think it
could be misleading e.g. I'd expect org.biojava.bio.taxa.Taxa to be a
Collection of some sort etc. Same from the biological angle, but for
different reasons.

It's a pain to change, but would it be possible before it becomes
entrenched in the API? I think the package name is fine, but almost
all cases of taxa in the API really mean taxon!

(Sorry Matthew!)

Keith (hoping we can just search-and-replace)

--

-= Keith James - kdj@sanger.ac.uk - http://www.sanger.ac.uk/Users/kdj =-
Pathogen Sequencing Unit, Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute, Cambridge, UK