[Biojava-l] BioJava 1.2 development

Thomas Down td2@sanger.ac.uk
Thu, 7 Mar 2002 16:58:20 +0000

Hi...

I'm hoping to put a new 1.2x release out in the next day
or two, including documentation fixes, a fix for an
event bug in SimpleSequence, and the demo program for
Blast2HTML (which got left out when the repository was
tagged for 1.2).

However, there's also been a lot of new code gone into
the project since 1.20 -- especially some hackathon-related
work.  I've therefore been wondering if we should look
at relaxing the previous policy of `no new features on the
branch'.  Instead, we could perhaps allow code developed
on the trunk to be moved into future 1.2x releases, so long as:

  - It's self-contained

  - No existing interfaces or contracts are changed

  - It's likely to be widely interesting/useful.

Does this make any sense?  Would it make using `release' versions
of BioJava more, or less, attractive?  I'm rather concious of the
fact that after the 1.0 and 1.1 releases, the branches went
very nearly dead -- which makes me think that more regular
releases, with controlled addition of new features, could
make a lot more sense than the previous policy.

Any thoughts?

     Thomas.

PS. Also, does anyone know of any more bug fixes that should
    make it into 1.21?