[Biojava-l] mutating subsequence

Thomas Down td2@sanger.ac.uk
Mon, 4 Mar 2002 18:02:58 +0000

On Mon, Mar 04, 2002 at 11:19:31AM -0500, Guoneng Zhong wrote:
> Hi,
> Is there a way I can change the content of a SubSequence object?  In the
> constructor I give it the parent sequence, the start and end index of
> that sequence.  But what if I want to change it later?  I want to reset
> the start and/or the end, and thereby changing the length of the
> subsequence.

Not at the moment -- the plan was always that you'd construct
a new SubSequence if you needed a different region.  I guess
that for sequence-browser type use-cases, changing the window
might make a certain amount of sense (although the BioJava
GUI code doesn't actually require you to construct a SubSequence
to view a portion of a large sequence -- it has its own cropping
functionality).  Is this what you're planning?

I've just been working on SubSequence last night, adding
support for creating/removing Features on the SubSequence,
so I guess now's as good a time as any to add more stuff...

    Thomas.