[Biojava-l] java1.3.1 or older...

Thomas Down td2@sanger.ac.uk
Sun, 3 Mar 2002 13:05:25 +0000

On Fri, Mar 01, 2002 at 09:32:06AM -0800, Geetha Vasudevan wrote:
> I have java 1.3.1 and all the biojava demo work fine. I am wondering if
> I would
> encounter problems when I tie the application as a web-interface, using
> netscape. Does
> netscape (even latest) have problems displaying the java 1.3.1 or
> upgrade problems? thanks for your input.

Netscape 4.x releases have, to the best of my knowlege,
only ever supported Java 1.1.  BioJava requires at least
Java 1.2 (we really recommend 1.3, these days), so it's
not going to work out of the box.

Netscape 6.x (and the open source Mozilla code it's based on)
are an entirely different matter.  They rely exclusively
on plugins to provide support for the APPLET tag, and can
use any recent Sun java release (I've got 1.4.0 in mozilla
now, but 1.3.1 worked fine too).  That said, I haven't
tested BioJava-in-an-applet recently (but it did work for
me last year).

[It is actually possible to use a Java plugin with Netscape
4, but you need to fiddle around using OBJECT tags rather than
APPLET -- you'll be better off with 6.2].

    Thomas.