[Biojava-l] exception with no stacktrace

Guoneng Zhong Guoneng.Zhong@med.nyu.edu
Fri, 1 Mar 2002 09:05:10 -0500

This is the function that has the code I included:

     private static void readFile() throws Exception{
         String file = "[some path]";
         AlignmentFormat format = new MSFAlignmentFormat();
         BufferedReader reader = new BufferedReader(new FileReader(file));
         if(false){
             String line = null;
             while((line=reader.readLine()) != null){
                 System.out.println(line);
             }
	return;
         }
         Alignment alignment = format.read(reader);
         List labels = alignment.getLabels();
         System.out.println("Retrieved "+labels.size()+" labels");
         for(int i=0;i<labels.size();i++){
             SymbolList list = (SymbolList)labels.get(i);
             System.out.println(list.seqString());
         }
         reader.close();
     }

The if statement on false is my way of testing and to show you that when
I switch it to true, the buffered reader works.  So there's nothing
wrong with the reader.  But when I switch that block to false, and let
the alignment parser use the reader, I get this null pointer exception
that is not at all informative of where the problem is.  It could be
that the output I have has a missing part, but the exception does not
tell me anything.

Is there any other way I can debug this without downloading the source
code and incorporate it into my IDE and step through with my debugger?

Thanks,
Guoneng