[Biojava-l] Biojava course help.

Witold Eryk Wolski wolski@molgen.mpg.de
Tue, 18 Jun 2002 13:56:23 +0200

Hi!

I am a student of bioinformatic on the free University of Berlin. I
started to work with the biojava API. I found biojava quite interesting
and usefull. Also the idea of open source tools in science is quite
important. Therefore i wanted to learn more about biojava.
To do this i am trying to organize an biojava course during the summer
hollidays on our faculty.
The idea i had for the course is that each part (core package, Sequence
Databases and formats... ) of biojava will be presented and discussed.
In the presentation the  biological background of the package, the
algorithms and the design patterns used to implement each package should
be presented. This have to be done by group 3 of 4 students. One idea is
also that the participants have to write a small application that uses
the classes and methods presented, until the the next meeting.

I posted the idea on the mailing lists of our faculty and got a lot of
e-mail from students that are interested in such a summer course.
Now i am thinking how to make the course more attractive to attract even
more students to join the course.
   It will be great if some of the core developers will be interested in
visiting Berlin this Summer and give for example a broad overview to all
parts of biojava during one weekend as a start of this course and help
to work out a schedule for such an course.
   I already talked with the administration of our faculty. They are
willing to support the course at least by making the computer pool and
lecture rooms available. Our faculty has also some money to pay for
example a part of the traveling cost's.
Wasn't there a biojava course this spring in England? If yes it will be
grate if someone is willing to share his experiences with me.

Sincerely Eryk.

--
    īvī     'vī   \\'v'//