[Biojava-l] Needleman-Wunsch implemented in Java

Dave Keller dave.c.keller@verizon.net
Mon, 03 Jun 2002 15:39:55 -0400

This is creepy.  I was just going to post the same thing last night but
was too tired.  :-)

I couldn't find this implementation in BioJava either.  I was going to
ask the list yesterday about how to plug this into the framework using
the dp and dp.twohead packages.  It's not clear in the documentation how
to use PairDPCursor, DPMatrix, CellCalculator, etc. in order to
accomplish a global alignment.  Is there an UML diagram that shows how
this is accomplished or could someone explain how they felt the dp
package would be used to do alignments?  Also, I would be curious to see
how you implemented it in the framework.

What I wrote does everything using the Symbol and SymbolLists.  So, all
I need to do is to put the dp interfaces on top of it but I need to know
how one would go about doing a global alignment  using BioJava.

On a side note, and this is probably inappropriate but I am doing anyway
because I've been unemployed for so long, does anyone have a need for a
software engineer who wants to eventually become a bioinformatician or
computational biologist?  I want to go back to school for my Masters in
the fall of '03 but I would like to find a job for the next year doing
some sort of biology software.  I have a BS in Computer Science as well
as a Minor in Mathematics.   I have taken college level Chemistry and
Physics and have been teaching myself molecular bio and genetics.  I
currently reside in Boston but am willing and able to move.  Please let
me know if anyone has any leads, I really need to find something soon
and although beggers can't be choosers, I really would like to get some
bioinformatics experience.  Thank you.

Dave