[Biojava-l] Biojava 1.21 & BioSQL

Thomas Down td2@sanger.ac.uk
Mon, 8 Jul 2002 23:42:59 +0100

On Mon, Jul 08, 2002 at 10:05:05AM -0700, Tim Burcham wrote:
> I realize that this has probably been discussed before, but I have looked at
> the docs & the list archives...
>
> BioJava 1.21 expects BioSQL running on MySQL version 4.0 or higher correct?
> MySQL version 3 does not support the DELETE syntax as expressed in
> BioSQLSequenceDB._removeSequence.
> Or is something else wrong with our installation?

No, you're right -- DELETE queries with joins in them don't
seem to be supported in older versions of MySQL.  This leaves
a bit of a problem since, unless there's a MySQL feature
which I'm missing, it looks like the offending DELETEs are
going to have to be replaced by a SELECT and a (potentially
large) number of DELETEs.

Unless there are any MySQL gurus out there who know of a
better solution, I guess this is the way to go.  I'll try
to implement it as a fall-back, so MySQL 4 and PostgreSQL
can still use the efficient, multi-table DELETE.

Any suggestions?

     Thomas.