[Biojava-l] linux

Mathew Traini mat.traini@proteomesystems.com
Mon, 08 Jul 2002 17:31:13 +1000

Hi,

Just did a quick look around the kernel compilation parameters.  Here's
the blurb for the CONFIG_BINFMT_MISC option, which you may be referring
to.  It sounds like it might be what's needed.  Sorry about the crappy
formatting.

Mat.

---
CONFIG_BINFMT_MISC:

If you say Y here, it will be possible to plug wrapper-driven binary

formats into the kernel. You will like this especially when you use

programs that need an interpreter to run like Java, Python or

                  Emacs-Lisp. It's also useful if you often run DOS
executables under
                                         the Linux DOS emulator DOSEMU
(read the DOSEMU-HOWTO, available from

<http://www.linuxdoc.org/docs.html#howto>). Once you have

               registered such a binary class with the kernel, you can
start one of

  those programs simply by typing in its name at a shell prompt; Linux

will automatically feed it to the correct interpreter.

You can do other nice things, too. Read the file

Documentation/binfmt_misc.txt to learn how to use this

feature, and Documentation/java.txt for information about how

to include Java support.

You must say Y to "/proc file system support" (CONFIG_PROC_FS) to

use this part of the kernel.

You may say M here for module support and later load the module when

                  you have use for it; the module is called
binfmt_misc.o. If you

don't know what to answer at this point, say Y.