[Biojava-l] Restriction digest progess

Kalle Näslund kalle.naslund@genpat.uu.se
Tue, 02 Jul 2002 17:46:48 +0200

Brian Osborne wrote:

>To Biojava,
>
>I see the following on the first page of the Biojava Web site:
>
>BioJava is distributed under LGPL. This means that you can use the libraries
>without your software being forced under either the LGPL or GPL.
>
>Can someone tell me what this means?
>
>Thanks again,
>
>Brian O.

HI!

GPL        = General Public Licence
LGPL      = Lesser General Public Licence

The exact wording of respective licence can be found at
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/licenses.html
Where you also can find FAQs for the licences, that explains the most
common questions.

If you just want to know what GPL/LGPL is, then the FAQ should be
enough, but if you intend to
interact with GPL/LGPL code on some sort of commercial basis, i would
recommend that you
got some proper legal advice from a solicitor before doing anything.

mvh Kalle