[Biojava-l] Symbol equality

Matthew Pocock matthew_pocock@yahoo.co.uk
Mon, 14 Jan 2002 12:56:45 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Mark,

I don't know if there are any utility methods
available for this sort of thing. Java provides two
equivalence methods - the == operator and the
.equals() method. == checks if the two objects are
identical - do they reside in the same chunk of
memory? .equals() checks if the two objects behave the
same - have the same responses for all methods under
all circumstances. I guess comparing symbols is
another equivalence relation, but Java doesn't provide
a nice framework for plugging in equivalences.

You could look at this as a partial ordering over sets
of sequences.

A > B iff the sequence B has the same length as A, and
Ai.getSymbols().accepts(Bi), which we could write as
Ai > Bi

A == B iff A.length() == B.length() && Ai == Bi

C = A u B iff A.length() == B.length() && Ai > Ci &&
Bi > Ci

The last one of these three comparisons says that two
sequences are in the same class iff there is at least
one sequence that is a specific case of both of them
e.g. ANY and AYN both can match to AYY.

This should all be trivial to code up. Unfortunately,
I still don't have a propper net connection. Any
takers?

Matthew

 --- "Schreiber, Mark"
<mark.schreiber@agresearch.co.nz> wrote: > Hi -