[Biojava-l] biojava1.2

Thomas Down td2@sanger.ac.uk
Mon, 14 Jan 2002 09:26:42 +0000

On Mon, Jan 14, 2002 at 11:05:53AM +1300, Schreiber, Mark wrote:
> Hi -
>
> I have one possible suggestion for Biojava 1.2 to do with stability.
>
> Would it be possible after the 1.2 freeze to split the live branch into
> bug fixes for 1.2 and new developments and bug fixes for those
> developments. This will make it easier for people using biojava to make
> and maintain applications while giving them the option of installing
> additional classes as and when the additional functionality is needed. A
> bit like suns core java distribution with add on jars and libs such as
> JAXP, JAI etc.

I quite agree.  This is actually our standard operating
procedure -- each major release has a CVS branch, and bug
fixes are allowed on that branch -- which could lead to
release 1.2.1, 1.2.2, etc.  There was very little activity
on the branch for 1.1 (although one bug fix release did -- belatedly --
appear).  I hope that the 1.2 branch might live for rather
longer than this, but it does depend very much on the level
of interest.

   Thomas.