[Biojava-l] New to the list

David Huen smh1008@cus.cam.ac.uk
Thu, 28 Feb 2002 06:46:30 +0000 (GMT)

On Wed, 27 Feb 2002, hbalke wrote:

> All --  I'm a Java developer (mostly server-side) with an interest in
> genomics and am interested in getting involved with open-source
> bioinformatics software. My skill set is J2EE on iPlanet web and app servers
> for either the Solaris or NT operating systems. I just joined the mailing
> list and received some e-mails with stack traces whose class names are
> intriguing. How can I get involved in some developer/debugger capacity with
> this effort ?  Thanks.

Welcome!

In general, you can either originate new projects or get involved in
maintaining or extending current ones.  With your current skill set you
might perhaps be interested in the Distributed Annotation System (DAS)
server software for delivering biological information over the net
perhaps?  The current incarnation uses http while a SOAP-based version is
in the works.  For more details about this, you could download from CVS
the xdas modules as well as the core biojava-live module.  The client is
in das-gui (or das-client when that's debugged - classpath bug).  For more
detailed information on this, contact Thomas Down (td2@sanger.ac.uk).

CHoose whatever takes your fancy within BioJava basically.

If you want a fast intro, there's a bootcamp running at Sanger Centre
18-22 March, registration required.

best wishes and have fun,
David Huen