[Biojava-l] Sensible toString() methods

Schreiber, Mark mark.schreiber@agresearch.co.nz
Wed, 27 Feb 2002 17:13:40 +1300

Hi -

Is it possibly time to change some of the toString() methods to give
more informative values (rather than a hashcode?).

I say this because I was making a GUI using a JTree to display nested
Features. JTree automatically names nodes by their toString method. When
I tried to be cunning by returning the getName() method of a sequence as
a node I ran into the problem that my TreeModel, which was set up to
test for the number of leaves etc by first determining if the node was
an instanceof a FeatureHolder, sadly gave up the Ghost.

Many such MCV components use the toString method so now that BioJava is
more mature I think we should fix this up.

Mark

 Mark Schreiber
 Bioinformatics
 AgResearch Invermay