[Biojava-l] Applets

Thomas Down td2@sanger.ac.uk
Thu, 21 Feb 2002 12:30:15 +0000

Appologies for my last post on this topic something horrible
must have happened between my text editor and my MTA.  Hopefully
won't happen again.

On Thu, Feb 21, 2002 at 12:05:14PM +0000, Kevin Glover wrote:
> Thomas Down wrote:
>
> > Which browser are you using?  Java version?  And what error
> > message are you seeing?
>

> I'm using Mozilla, with the Java plugin 1.3.1 and using biojava 1.20.

Should be okay.  But you might want to try 1.4.0 anyway.

> The error I'm getting is, on a call to DNATools.getDNA():
>
> org.biojava.bio.BioError: Couldn't locate AlphabetManager.xml.  Badly
>
> I can't imagine that it can't find it, so I'm just assuming its the
> applets security thats the problem. I could be wrong.

I really don't believe it's a security problem -- if the security
system were vetoing access to the file, I'd expect to see an
exception.  Instead, getResouceAsStream() is returning null,
which specifically means that the named resource couldn't be
found.

How are you invoking the applet?  Could you send a copy of
the <applet> element from your document?

Thanks,

   Thomas.