[Biojava-l] Applets

Thomas Down td2@sanger.ac.uk
Thu, 21 Feb 2002 11:41:37 +0000

On Thu, Feb 21, 2002 at 11:24:11AM +0000, Kevin Glover wrote:
> Hi there,
> I've been trying to write an applet that displays a sequence. However,
> it appears that because of an applets security restrictions
> AlphabetManager.xml can't be loaded, which essentially put the
> AlphabetManager class out of action. Any ideas of a way to get round this?

Which browser are you using?  Java version?  And what error
message are you seeing?

I haven't used BioJava in an applet for a while now, but at
one point I successfully ran a DAS client in an applet, running
on Java plugin 1.3 in Mozilla (under Linux).  I don't think I
had any security issues unless you tried to communicate with
servers other than the machine from which the applet was loaded.

AlphabetManager.xml is loaded from the biojava.jar file using
a getResourceAsStream() call.  I thought this was always a legal
thing for an applet to do -- anyone else know better?

    Thomas.