[Biojava-l] Gene Ontology

Matthew Pocock matthew_pocock@yahoo.co.uk
Mon, 2 Dec 2002 18:16:50 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Tim,

It's one of those things that would have been nice to
have a long time ago, but nobody ever wrote. What is
the API for a GO term? I'm wondering if we can just
re-use the Annotation/AnnotationType interfaces and
suck this in as a constrained Map.

Go terms have an ID and (possibly) a description. By
the isa relationship, they have a (single?) parent and
(possibly no) children. I'm assuming Go has a part-of
relationship (or it's inverse, has-a). What else does
a GO term have?

Then, there are go ontologies, or roots. These have a
root GO term.

We would need some way to map between a set of
database IDs and GO terms - GO -> all IDs with that
term, or perhaps (GO,seqDB) -> all features with that
term.

What have I missed off? What else would you need
API-wise for your GUI to work?

Matthew

 --- "Dudgeon, Tim" <TDudgeon@OSIP.com> wrote: > There
has been mention of a Gene Ontology API and/or