[Biojava-l] GO web service

Tom Oinn tmo@ebi.ac.uk
Sat, 31 Aug 2002 15:47:31 +0100

Dickson, Mike wrote:

>Lastly of course
>there is the stateless nature of web services vs. stateful behavior in
>BioJava (and CORBA).  What does a good stateless interface to the stuff in
>BioJava look like?

Web services are not stateless by definition. Firstly, you can declare
services as being session scoped, and therefore maintain state within
them, and secondly there are a significant number of projects underway
already to provide stateful service factory type implementations. I
point you in the general direction of globus 3.0, or the Open Grid
Services Architecture for more information. We are building a general
eScience grid system based around this architecture, we have GO web
services already running as part of the prototype for this system. See
http://www.gridforum.org, http://www.ebi.ac.uk/escience and
http://www.mygrid.org.uk for more information :)

Cheers,

Tom Oinn