[Biojava-l] BioSQL, Oracle, & isSPASupported?

Tim Burcham TBurcham@diadexus.com
Mon, 12 Aug 2002 10:24:53 -0700

I am sure that I missed this somewhere in the archives, but...
We are supporting an Oracle instance of BioSQL, and we keep running
across this isSPASupported(), which seems to be some sort of BioSQL
accelerator:

PreparedStatement ps = conn.prepareStatement( "select
biosql_accelerators_level()" );

Are spaChecked & spaSupported ever true? In which case, against which
DBMS?

We are moving a lot of functionality to a subclass of DBHelper to
isolate BioSQLSequenceDB from the actual DBMS and SQL used. I would be
curious how others are handing this for Oracle. It seems that the
isSPASupported() method could also be isoloated this way, by just
instantiating a different DBHelper. This would make the code much easier
to read, and would not have the very similar duplication of code in
BioSQLSequenceDB class.

What do you guys think? What am I missing?

Thanks in advance - Tim

diaDexus, Inc.
343 Oyster Point Blvd
South San Francisco, CA 94080