[Biojava-l] Quick EMBL Loading?

pootle monster pootle_monster@hotmail.com
Mon, 29 Apr 2002 09:30:30 +0000

I am using the method below to load an EMBL file

BufferedReader br = new BufferedReader(new FileReader(emblFile));
stream = SeqIOTools.readEmbl(br);
while (stream.hasNext()){
  seq = stream.nextSequence();
}

The problem is that this takes about 10 seconds

I often use the same EMBL files and only want the CDS Features

I feel that there must be a quicker way to do this

As Sequence is Serializable can I save the Sequence to a flat file
and load that instead?
is that possible?
would this be quicker?
would it be more efficient if I removed the features I did not want?

I realise a database might be the way to go - but I dont want to go that way
at the moment.

Simon