[Biojava-l] Tutorial Suggestion...

James Carman james@carmanconsulting.com
Thu, 25 Apr 2002 12:03:19 -0400

In the "Doesn't this all waste memory?" subsection of the "BioJava: Symbols
and SymbolLists" section of the tutorial, you claim "there are just four
`singleton' Symbol objects which represent the symbols found in the DNA
alphabet."  This is not an example of the Singleton design pattern.  It is
an example of the Flyweight (GoF) design pattern.  Doesn't the phrase "four
singletons" sound a bit contradictory?  In any case, I do like the design
and I was asking myself the same question immediately before I read that
section.

James Carman, President
Carman Consulting, Inc.
1218 Bobwhite Ct.