[Biojava-l] CVS update problem

Thomas Down td2@sanger.ac.uk
Wed, 24 Apr 2002 16:42:30 +0100

On Wed, Apr 24, 2002 at 10:51:01AM -0400, Simon Foote wrote:
> Anyone had the following problem when updating there cvs copy of biojava
> recently:
>
> cvs update
> cvs server: Updating src/org/biojava/utils/math
> cvs server: failed to create lock directory for
> `/home/repository/biojava/biojava-live/src/org/biojava/utils/math'
> (/home/repository/biojava/biojava-live/src/org/biojava/utils/math/#cvs.lock):
> Permission denied
> cvs server: failed to obtain dir lock in repository
> `/home/repository/biojava/biojava-live/src/org/biojava/utils/math'
> cvs [server aborted]: read lock failed - giving up

I've just tried an update, which went through fine (you don't
specify this, but I presume you are using the main server
rather than anonymous CVS).  My normal suspicion when I see
errors like this is that some file ownerships in the repository
have got messed up, but I've done a quick check and can't find
anything suspicious.

It may well just have been a transient error -- CVS doesn't handle
multiple concurant accesses terribly gracefully.

Let me know if the problem persists,

    Thomas.