[Biojava-l] Isoelectirc point

Matthew Pocock matthew_pocock@yahoo.co.uk
Tue, 16 Apr 2002 12:54:38 +0100

Blum, Bruce wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Does biojava have any class which can calculate a protein's isoelectric
> point if given a sequence?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Bruce Blum

Hi Bruce,

Sory. There isn't currently anything thad does what you need We have a
package org.biojava.bio.proteomics with classes Digest, MassCalc and
Protease. It looks like the ideal place to put an IsoelectricCalc class,
or perhaps a single class for calculating a global property of an entire
protein sequence which can be parameterised by mass tables, isoelectric
points, or whatever else.

Among the news groups there are a consitent stream of requests for
isoelectric point calculators. Would anyone like to volunteere
code/tables that do the job?

Matthew

ps On a sort of related point, to make these things work we need a
framework for representing residue modifications e.g. phosphorylation,
methylation