[Biojava-l] new anoncvs server (was Re: Problems with Biojava CVS)

Chris Dagdigian dag@sonsorol.org
Thu, 11 Apr 2002 21:43:23 -0400

Tom Hudson wrote:

 > Using the WebCVS interface, every time I click on help I get the error
 > message

/cgi-bin/viewcvs/viewcvs.cgi/biojava-lims/org/biojava/lims//*docroot*/help_dirview.html/biojava-lims/org/biojava/lims/%2Adocroot%2A/help_dirview.html:

 > unknown location

Hi Tom,

This is a known issue with the viewcvs program that has persisted for us
through several upgrades of the software (I keep hoping it will go away
with each new version) At some point when people have clicked deeply
into a cvsroot tree the URLs in the HTML become mangled. I tracked this
down a while back but could not fix it because I don't know python. None
of the biopython developers had the time to assist at the time.

Truth be told it is one of our lower priority "to fix" issues and
viewcvs is the best of the web-to-cvs bridges that I've ever worked with
so there are few alternatives.

On a brighter side I've built a new anonymous cvs server for the O}B|F.
This will replace the current OpenBSD system which has had some worrying
panic crashes this week.

During this project which took most of today and yesterday I was finally
able to cleanly compile and integrate "cvsgraph" into the system.

'cvsgraph' draws graphical image maps on the fly showing revisions,
branches and tag history for a given file.

As an example check out:
http://newcvs.open-bio.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/viewcvs.cgi/biojava-live/README?graph=1.10&cvsroot=biojava

I'm going to start the DNS changes this evening so within 48 hours the
new server will be visible at cvs.biojava.org. Right now you can only
get to it via the 'newcvs.open-bio.org' hostname.

Regards,
Chris