[Biojava-l] Javadoc review

Matthew Pocock matthew_pocock@yahoo.co.uk
Thu, 11 Apr 2002 11:55:42 +0100

Keith James wrote:
> Yesterday I was working on imagemaps using BioJava and wanted to use
> some structured Annotation. I found some potentially helpful classes,
> as judged by their names, but they were mostly undocumented.

These classes allow you to validate an Annotation object by the values
of its properties, which may be themselves Annotation instances, or may
be java objects. The most important constraint about this system is that
the AnnotationType and PropertyConstraint entities can validata an
annotation bundle or a property by its sub-tree, but not by its parent.
The other main thing is that Annotation instances are not expected to
have an ISA slot containing an annotation type. In general, you will say:

if(annType.instanceOf(ann)) {
   // we now know about the types of properties in ann
   // so do stuff
}

You can say:

Foo is an annotation where:
   annotation->a isa Bar

You can not say:

Bar is an annotation where:
   Foo->a isa Bar

Anyway, I will try to get all of this documented. Sory for the line noise.

Matthew