[Biojava-l] OBDA and SeqDB

Ewan Birney birney@ebi.ac.uk
Mon, 8 Apr 2002 09:01:55 +0100 (BST)

On Mon, 8 Apr 2002, Schreiber, Mark wrote:

> Hi -
>
> So is there a plan to do a OBDASeqDB which would act like the BioSQLDB
> in biojava but not require the underlying SQL schema.
>
> Does OBDA actually place restrictions on the underlying schema? The
> reason I ask is that our in house database doesn't match the BioSQL
> schema closely enough for it to be useful but it would be nice to use
> things developed in OBDA if we can.

OBDA has a CORBA binding which allows any BioJava compatible database to
be exposed to Perl and Python. Rather surprisingly it does actually work.

The point about OBDA is that it is cross-language and standard. Therefore
"your own schema" can - by definition - fit into OBDA - however, you can
make your own BioJava bindings to your schema and then expose them as OBDA
compatible services either via CORBA or via the BioFetch system.