[Biojava-l] Re: Biojava-l digest, Vol 1 #611 - 2 msgs

David Huen smh1008@cus.cam.ac.uk
Sat, 6 Apr 2002 03:51:28 +0100 (BST)

On Fri, 5 Apr 2002, autopost wrote:

> Are there any open source projects that are working towards creating tools
> or a suite of applications for BioInformatics rather than creating a
> library/SDK?  We want to find a group that is interested (or is already)
> creating pre-built tools
>
> BioPerl and BioJava are great libraries.  I would think the next step is
> using them to create a toolset that allows "users" to get up and running
> without having to know how to program.

I can only comment on BioJava.

BioJava is still relatively new and as such most previous attention has
been rightly directed toward developing functionality within the
libraries.  Even now functionality remains incomplete.

Nevertheless, we do have an immediately usable DAS server and client.  I
would not be surprised if proprietary apps using these libraries exist
within the commercial organisations using BioJava.

> Anyone intersted?  Or, is anyone already doing this?

BioJava would welcome app development.  However, as open-source
development progresses frequently thru' itches that need scratching, I's
expect to see apps emerge first within the core interests of existing
developers.  Perhaps as the libraries mature, the focus of current
developers may change progressively toward app/tool development.

Regards,
David Huen