[Biojava-l] RNATools.translate

Cox, Greg gcox@netgenics.com
Tue, 4 Sep 2001 15:06:41 -0400

I'm not sure if I'm calling it wrong, or if there's a problem.  I'm trying
to create a DNA sequence, and translate that into a protein sequence with:

SymbolList prtList = RNATools.translate(RNATools.transcribe(dnaList));

What happens is that I get:

Exception in thread "main" org.biojava.bio.symbol.IllegalAlphabetException:
The source alphabet and translation table source alphabets don't match: RNA
and (RNA x RNA x RNA)
        at
org.biojava.bio.symbol.TranslatedSymbolList.<init>(TranslatedSymbolList.java
:78)
        at
org.biojava.bio.symbol.SymbolListViews.translate(SymbolListViews.java:104)
        at org.biojava.bio.seq.RNATools.translate(RNATools.java:301)
        at SpikeTranslation.main(SpikeTranslation.java:56)

It seems that there's an additional step of translating the RNA strand into
codons before it can be translated into amino acids.  I'll make the change,
i just want to be sure it's something that should be fixed before I work on
it.

Greg