[Biojava-l] FW: Location Problems

Ewan Birney birney@ebi.ac.uk
Wed, 24 Oct 2001 20:39:03 +0100 (BST)

On Tue, 23 Oct 2001, Cox, Greg wrote:

> 	I'm not making any proposals right now, just highlighting the
> problem.  Let me know if you have brilliant thoughts.

It sucks ;). Have fun!

It is this stuff (plus the fuzzies) that forced bioperl into this whole
nasty location object thang. It means inside Bioperl there is just a whole
truck load of implicit recursion, possible crazy object structures and
ability to represent the same about 4 different ways due to the need to
round-trip the whole of GenBank/EMBL.

Yuk Yuk Yuk....

I've always been attracted to a model where it is

  Feature <---- Proper_Feature
   ^
   |____________UnparsableGenBankEmblFeature

The UnparsableGenBankEmblFeature would just have one method called

   location_string()

;)