[Biojava-l] How can we start programming

David Huen smh1008@cus.cam.ac.uk
Fri, 5 Oct 2001 13:11:16 +0100 (BST)

On Fri, 5 Oct 2001, Amit Kaushik wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I don't have any background of biology but i am really interested
> to code some good application in to this bioinfotmatics field.Is there
> really any need to be of same background to enter in to this field, if
> not then can anybody please advise me how can i start programming in to
> this field and which type of software we can develope for this fields.

Most of the issues faced in doing bioinformatics programming do require a
basic molecular biological understanding as the software we develop models
these these features as objects of various kinds.  You don't have to be a
bench research biologist, many of the developers here are not, but I'm
pretty certain all do have a working understanding of molecular biology.
insofar as how sequences "work".

You could acquire the required background just from reading a book like
Lewin's "Genes" - it's how I started molecular biology from an
engineering background.

Best wishes,
David Huen