[Biojava-l] Parsing a BLAST file

Susan Glass SGlass@genetics.com
Fri, 02 Nov 2001 10:56:06 -0500

I have just downloaded the Biojava package and made a BLAST output file parser according to the tutorial on http://biojava.org/tutorials/blastlikeParsingCookBook/index.html

That means I have written my own XML content handler and put the parsing logic into startElement, using the BlastLikeDataSetCollection DTD file as a guide to the tag names.

This works fine, but I believe I should be able to use objects in the org.biojava.bio.search package to avoid writing my own content handler.  Is this true? If so, could someone please point me to some example code (or other help) that starts with a BLAST output file, and ends with hit objects?  Unfortunately I'm having trouble choosing the correct classes to use with only the javadocs as a guide.  I found a mail list posting from August that deals with this( http://biojava.org/pipermail/biojava-l/2001-August/001480.html ), but it uses a package org.biojava.bio.program.ssbind
that I don't have and can't find.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much,
Susan