[Biojava-l] JDK 1.4 in beta release

Thomas Down td2@sanger.ac.uk
Thu, 24 May 2001 19:14:32 +0100

On Thu, May 24, 2001 at 01:15:48PM +0100, Humphrey Sheil wrote:
> Hi
>
> Just thought I'd give you all a heads up about the 1.4 JDK.  It's finally
> hit the streets in beta release at:
> http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4/?frontpage-hottopics

Thanks for the heads up.

I've got it successfully installed and running on my Linux
test machine.  I've compiled BioJava and everything seems tto
run nicely.  There does, however, seem to be some sort of
problem using ANT to compile the project -- I'll look into
that tommorow if I get any time.

Other than all the lovely new API (which I guess we should avoid
using in BioJava, for a while at least), there seem to be some
significant improvements in the performance of Java 2D graphics,
at least under Unix.  I'd say it's worth upgrading just for that...

   Thomas.