[Biojava-l] Unit tests

Thomas Down td2@sanger.ac.uk
Wed, 9 May 2001 16:59:28 +0100

On Wed, May 09, 2001 at 04:24:34PM +0100, Keith James wrote:

> I'm keen to set up unit tests for the core classes.

This has been talked about more-or-less since the project
started and is now looong overdue.  Thanks for bringing this
to the front again.

> Some ideas:
>
> * Using JUnit will integrate with Ant

There seems to be a lot of pre-JUnit feeling around now,
so that's probably a good way to go.

> * Have a classloader which will find new tests by itself, so the suite
>   will not need updating with each additional test

I'm not too familiar with JUnit, but I'd hope something like
this can be done.

> * A naming convention for test classes
>
> Regarding adding new compile/build tasks to Ant, should the tests go
> in the main source tree (e.g. src/org/biojava/test/*) or in a parallel
> one? (e.g. test/org/biojava/test/*).

I'd definitely vote for test/ here -- the src/ directory
should be reserved for code which actually ends up in the
final distribution.

Any more thoughts?

   Thomas.