[Biojava-l] biojava.com

Chris Dagdigian dag@sonsorol.org
Mon, 12 Mar 2001 11:30:14 -0500

http://www.bioperl.com/ and http://www.biojava.com/ seem to be owned and
operated by Jong Park.  The whois info for biojava.com can be seen at:
http://www.networksolutions.com/cgi-bin/whois/whois?biojava.com

Jong has "borrowed" our website template when creating his sites which have
not been updated much (if at all).

The similarity between our sites can be confusing but at the same time
since we were not on the ball fast enough to grab the ".com" domain names I
am actually happy that Jong grabbed them. He is a strong proponent of free
software and his ownership has likely prevented from less altruistic
corporate entities from grabbing the domain name which would be more
confusing in the long run.

I look at the whole situation as this:  there is potential for confusion
between the sites but Jong's ownership has prevented the domain from being
used by a for-profit industry or software company. I also don't think that
Jong is 'squatting' in an attempt to make money selling the domains
eventually, he has legit goals and plans for the sites.

my $.02

-Chris